Sam has been feeding Balanced to her whole yard of native ponies for a number of years now and feels that the results speak for themselves.
In 2016 Sam and her ponies
Won at The Royal International Horse Show (7 qualified to compete)
Won at The Horse of the Year Show
and Won ‘Best of Breed’ at the Olympia Horse Show
Sam says ‘by feeding Balanced Horse Feeds, I know that my ponies are having the correct food to help them perform to their maximum potential, whilst insuring they are receiving the correct amount of nutrients, “I have never had a pony that hasn’t eaten up on Balanced horse feeds”
Sam started showing ponies as a hobby when she was 8 years old, and thoroughly enjoyed bringing on young ponies and taking part in pony club activities. Judy Harvey gave Sam her first break and a ride on a plaited pony, when she was 9 years old. This gave Sam an insight into the major county shows and gave her; her first ride at the Royal International Horse Show & Horse of the Year Show. She continued to show both plaited and Mountain & Moorland ponies for some of the country’s top show pony producer’s and a few natives from home.
As she got older she had more native ponies to ride and thoroughly enjoyed breaking in young ponies and showing them from her home. She had some great results and when she was just 12 years old she won the prestigious Mountain & Moorland Ridden Final atOlympia, becoming only one of two children to win. Within the year she had also won the Championship at the Horse of the Year Show, and numerous national titles.
When she left School, she already knew that she wanted to run her own yard of show ponies. She spent a bit of time learning her trade and gaining experience. In 2004 she achieved her dream and she set up her own 5 box yard and started the business.
In the past 6 years she has continued to build her business and has moved premises so she can accommodate up to 8 ponies, although 6 is the ideal number. She has produced a large number of champions and qualified in excess of 30 ponies for Horse of The Year Show in the past 6 years.
The ponies that Sam shows are sometimes broken and previously shown, and others come to her literally untouched. She really enjoys breaking in the ponies she will show, as it allows them to gain a bond of trust. Most of the ponies that come in to be shown are novice ponies and there are usually one or two older; more experienced ponies.
When Sam hasn’t got ponies competing in the same class at shows she also does what she nick name “Rent-a-jockey”, where she rides ponies for clients that she meets at the shows, some of them are regular rides and some are ‘last minutes’ spare rides. Sam thoroughly enjoys taking these rides when she can and is so lucky to have been able to ride some fantastic ponies.
Sam is really grateful to all of those people who help and support her to be able to achieve her dream. She would like to say a very public ‘Thank you’ to all her helpers, supporters, owners, breeders, sponsors and friends, who have encouraged and help her. Sam is determined to continue to produce young top class native show ponies and knows only too well the ‘Up’s and Down’s’ of horses and success.
Below is a list of just some of the more successful native ponies she has ridden –
- Connemaras – Walstead Hunny Bear, Rosenharley Laura Amy, Bardsey Jack Of Spades, Ballymore Main Man, Glanmore Monarch, Goosemore Duncan, Village Heather, Hardys Rock, Millstreet Boy, Crossdrum Ozzie, Lecarrow King
- Highlands – Locklands Musician, Lucy First lass of Dinefwr, Guvenor of Whitefield, Gwinivere of Whitefield
- New Forests – Woodrows Delight’s Double, Peverill Peppercorn, Willoway Bright and Beautiful, Willoway Free Spirit, Willoway Minstrel, Willoway Patience,Verons Valetta
- Fells – Townend Tom,CliffordCasino
- Dales – Sunglow Lady Paula
- Dartmoors – Uppercott Hermitage, Boveycombe Banner, Hisley Saunter, Springwater Intermetzzo, Springwater Sundown, Lanfield Binth, Shilstone Rocks Snow Fox, Rough Day, Whinberry Florin, Uppercott Mondavi, Moortown Honeyman, Shilstone Rocks Ruahini, Springtimes Mischief, Newoak Prosper, Stourton What O, Wilby Advocate, Moortown Countryman, Hisley Provist, Yeoland Fiesta
- Shetland – Waulkmill Redstart
- Welsh Section A’s – Cwmbachstel Dion, Cammac Dracma Springbourne Camelot, Waitwith West Wind, Glenwood Caradog, Lacy Targid Atherstone Bonzobie, Halnaker Alf, Thistledown Beekeeper, Rowfantina Simply Sarah, Follywood Fantasy, Thistledown Beekeeper,Ovinton Konros, Yaverland Carlo, Eskley Sweet Emma, Waxwing Xcess, Dinsdale Country Celebration, Sparten Bounty, Berwykle Brenin, Littlewern Tiny, Dfyed flying wild, Highland Jigsaw, Delami Destiny, Highland Jury, Bryndefaid St Andrew, Friars Osbeck, Pantycoed Tawny Owl
- Welsh Section B’s – Harwell Wizard, Wyndegate Annoska, Gryngalt Playsome, Tilstone Chikor, Rowfantina Prize Scamp, Rowfantina Heaven Sent, Rotherwood Wild Snowdrop, Caroworth Pendant, Wynswood Minstrel, Longhalves Golden Sunshine, Pendock Darius, Thamesbourne Bethwyn, Brynvale Little Cracker, Oakwoodhill Just William, Desabre Last Word, Rowfantina Prize Scamp, Locksbit Wispering Wind, Moelgarnedd Bwrlwm, Fayre Delight, Fydlyn Advantage, Sannan Valley Imitation, Barkla Royal Heir, Polaris Dial, Muskerry Blue Danube, Millcroft Ghost, Carrwood Acclaim, Eyarth Apollo, Wortley Grenadier, Fenbourne Bellhop, Russetwood Ecstacy, Eyarth Savero, Chywood John Smith, Kiltanine Mabel, Holyoak Enchantment, Bunbury Sultan, Millcroft Iska Roc
- Welsh Section C’s – Dot, Chicknoir Rascal, Telynau Congressman, Willoway Sampson, Rhyd-ddu Glyndwr, Synod Ruffelette, Kesheen lightning, Kesheen Renegrade,Tambrook Trick Me Twice, Springrove Alexander, Stoatleytwo Distinction, Mowcastle Mickey, Tawlefan Red Robin, D’Aberon Cockney Rebel, Reset Sir Lancelot
- Welsh Section D’s – Firle Morning Star, Mowcastle More Magic, Ross Bright Bouncer, Penn Caris, Follywood Brenin, Mascal Maggie May, Mascal Jenny, Stoatly Two Lady Jane, Pennal Calon Mai, Hywi Christy, Rhystead Rocket Moon, Synod Rumpus
To visit Sam’s website please click here